Saturday, October 23, 2010

What exactly is "Implantation"?

I can't believe I've had 9 children and do not know what implantation is!! I see it all over ByeDr.coms! Please don't think I am stupid, I had never heard of it before coming on here. Are you all talking about "Artificial Insemenation"?What exactly is "Implantation"?
Implantation occurs when the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall. In some cases (i.e., ectopic pregnancy) this occurs in the fallopian tube (a medical emergency).
The implantation I know of is breast implants to increase breast size but I suppose you could implant anything to increase it's size.
When the sperm has met the egg, the egg journeys through the fallopian tubes, where it travels down into the uterus. Once it arrives into the uterus, it clings onto the walls, and tries to "implant" itself into the uterine lining. This is what is known as Implantation.
Implantation happens 5 to 9 days after conception. Once the egg has successfully implanted itself, the lining of the uterus sheds some blood. The blood travels down and presents itself 7 to 10 days after implantation. This is called implantation bleeding. By the time this spotting of blood reaches the outside, it has become "old" and thus looks black, brown, or dark red.

No comments:

Post a Comment